Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Your Seed Starting Soil Should Not Have Twigs

Urban Organic Gardener

Post image for Your Seed Starting Soil Should Not Have Twigs

Isn’t it mad frustrating and annoying when you start your seeds and they don’t sprout? Generally seeds will take somewhere between 7-14 days to sprout, depending on the seed. Once it hits that 14 day mark with no sprouts, start getting concerned.

About six-weeks ago, I started some lemon balm seeds on my balcony garden. They were planted in four parts of the container. I planned on thinning them out when they grew their true leaves so only the strongest stood. Six-weeks later and still nothing.

I shouldn’t say nothing, but very little. There are some small sprouts that appear to be attempting to forcing their way through. Not much though.

They have been watered regularly and get at least four hours of direct sunlight a day. I am going to say that the problem is with the soil that I’m using. It’s something that I’ve been suspect of for a while, but this solidifies it for me.

When taking a closer look at the soil, it has lots of twigs and bigger pieces. That’s not a great growing medium for containers. I’m going to toss the soil into the compost and get some new soil. Unfortunately, I don’t have the space to make my own potting soil like I did in Brooklyn. Damned soil.

What are some other reasons that seeds won’t sprout?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRJc05CmoSU

Your Seed Starting Soil Should Not Have Twigs from Urban Organic Gardener MasterGardening

Sent with Reeder

No comments:

Post a Comment